Job Posting 9-15-2021
Wilderness Awareness School is an internationally recognized non-profit leading the way in transformational and educational experiences designed to deepen connection with the natural world and human communities. This down-to-earth, all-ages nature school is looking for a full-time Program Manager to lead our Summer Program team.
The Summer Program Manager (SPM) is responsible for carrying out the yearly planning, preparation, and oversight of our Summer Camps under the direction of the Program Director.
- You have strong Summer Camp leadership experience, or similar experience in a related field
- You have experience and skill in empowering people and giving clear, direct feedback
- You are able to organize a wide range of diverse and complex tasks with a strong attention to detail
- You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- You love the natural world and believe that the more related we are with nature, each other, and ourselves the better off our world will be
- You believe everyone should have equitable access to nature and understand that there is a link between social justice and nature connection
- You have the Wilderness First Aid (or higher) and CPR certifications, or the ability to get them upon hiring
This department manages all of our Youth Summer Camps with 2 year-round admin staff, 60-70 seasonal staff, 150 volunteers and interns, and ~2000 campers in day camps, overnight camps, and expeditions.
- Primarily responsible for overseeing our Summer Camp programs
- Bring passion and skill as a relational and empathetic leader to our staff
- Be a contributing member to our Leadership Team
- Are able to work a variable schedule with seasonal flows (occasional weekends and long days)
- Create the schedule of summer program offerings
- Responsible for hiring of summer staff including recruiting, review of applications, conducting interviews and making hiring decisions in consultation with the hiring team and Program Director.
- Responsible for scheduling and facilitating Summer staff training and meetings.
- Develop and grow the vision, strategy and overall positive impact of our summer programs
- Manage two year round Summer Program Coordinators as well as additional seasonal staff
- Work with the Marketing Director to ensure that marketing efforts and the website are accurate and effective.
- Work with the Registrar to provide a smooth registration process for customers
- Develop and update materials sent to participants upon registration in collaboration with the Registrar, program staff where applicable, and Program Director.
- Bring passion and skill for Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion to support students and staff.
- Contribute to the development of risk management plans, emergency response plans, and ongoing risk management training in collaboration with the Program Director.
- Oversee in-the-field adherence of all policies and procedures of Wilderness Awareness School and any relevant outside agencies.
- Assist with development of new programs and changes to current programs in collaboration with program staff and Program Director.
Education & Experience
- Significant summer camp management experience
- General program leadership and management experience
- Experience managing and mentoring adults
- Experience in 8 Shields Nature Connection and Coyote Mentoring preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required
- Experience with Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills, including ongoing prioritization of tasks
- Active leadership in highly relational conflict resolution and problem solving
- Commitment to supporting equitable and inclusive programs and being a bridge between social justice and nature connection.
- Commitment to mentoring and building long-term relationships with staff, students and community
- Outgoing, creative and caring personality with a strong desire to grow professionally and personally
- Passion for the natural world and personal nature connection practices
- Familiarity with Wilderness Awareness School’s programs and educational culture, particularly Coyote Mentoring or experience with other related 8 Shields schools.
- A true passion for Wilderness Awareness School’s vision and mission
- Computer literacy with Gmail, Google Docs & Sheets, internet, cloud based systems, etc.
- Physical ability to walk outdoors over rough terrain, off trail in all kinds of weather.
Annual Calendar Overview
- January to April: Hiring and Scheduling
- You will be managing two Program Coordinators to hire and schedule staff, interns and volunteers. This will include; reviewing applications, sitting in on interviews, and making hiring and scheduling decisions.
- May and June: Preparing and running Staff Training
- You will review and update policies, manuals, checklists and more, as well as lead the staff team in running the Staff Training Week in mid June.
- July and August: Manage summer camps
- You are the heart and soul of the Summer Camp leadership team, managing and supporting our in-field staff with questions, concerns, emergencies, etc.
- September to December: Debrief and plan next year’s camps/programs
- You will lead the process of collecting all relevant information from the camps and integrate it into next year’s plan as well as working with the Program Director to design the upcoming year’s schedule.
- $50-60k to start, Depending on Experience
- 5 weeks paid time off
- Discounted or free Wilderness Awareness programs and professional training
- Connective, community minded workplace
- Monthly stipend to purchase health insurance
- 3% salary retirement plan match
How to Apply
Mail or Email a complete application packet, which includes all 3 of the following:
1. Employment Application
3. Cover letter addressed to Dan Corcoran, Program Director
- Why are you an excellent candidate for this position?
- What relevant experience do you have with youth programs and staff management?
- What experience do you have with Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work?
Applications due by October 8, 2021
Target start date is November 8, 2021 (with some flexibility)
Wilderness Awareness School
POB 219, PMB 137
Duvall, WA 98019
Email: [email protected]
Women and candidates from marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.