How to Register
All registrations are processed through our secure online registration site hosted by CampMinder. Please follow “Register Now ” links on specific program pages to register.
Required ages for programs are posted with each program. If your child is of age within 30-days of the program start date, please call or email the registrar to request an exception. We are unable to make exceptions beyond this.
If you have questions about using our online registration tool please call our office Monday–Friday between 8 am and 4 pm PST: 425-788-1301 or contact us HERE.
Click below to manage your online account (pay online balance, update registration info, etc):
Checking for Open Space in a Course and Waitlists
Course registration changes quickly. There are two ways to check for open spaces in a course:
- Call our office 425-788-1301
- Click on the “Register Now ” link from our website. Programs will appear with “waitlist ” if they are full.
If your program appears waitlisted:
- Waitlists will only appear when a program is 100% full.
- There is no cost to register for a waitlist (you will need to enter your payment information, but you won't be charged unless a spot opens and you agree to register). Registration is highly encouraged.
- Space may become available last minute. Participation is not guaranteed for those on the waitlist.
- Participants on a waitlist will be contacted in the order they are received, up until 2 weeks prior to a program beginning. If you would like to be removed from a waitlist, please contact our office
- Participants will be contacted via the primary email address provided
- Up until two weeks prior to a program beginning, participants have 48 hours to accept an open space before we call the next person on the waitlist. Within two weeks, an open space will be offered to the first person to respond
Applying for Scholarships
Before applying for a scholarship, please consider whether our maximum scholarship award for the program you are interested in will allow you to attend. If you will be unable to attend unless you receive more than the maximum amount awarded for that program, please consider saving money to attend at a later time–we'll still be here!
The maximum scholarship considered for youth programs is 50% of the program cost. Scholarship applications are reviewed on a first received, first reviewed process. Scholarship applicants will be notified within 14 business days by the email address and phone number listed on the application. If you have not heard within that time window, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adult Weekend and Week-long Programs
Currently we are unable to offer scholarships for these programs.
Adult School Year Programs (Adult Intensives)
If you are applying for the Anake Outdoor School, the scholarship application is part of the online application. Scholarships are awarded March 15th and July 15th. Priority is given to students who have already made their deposit to attend the program.
If you are applying for the Anake Leadership Program, applications must be received before submitting a scholarship application. Scholarship applications for this program will not be considered without a program application. Program applications should be submitted to the School Year Program Director. Scholarships will be applied to any remaining tuition after the non-refundable deposit has been paid.
A huge thanks to all of our supporters who make these scholarships possible!! Learn more about creating scholarships for our students.
In order to provide scholarships to our students, we rely on the generous support of our donors through the Ingwe Memorial Scholarship Fund. We were pleased to be able to offer over $89,000 in scholarships last year! But even with that level of funding, not everyone who applied for a scholarship was able to receive one. Our goal is to increase the amount we can give this coming year and in the years to come. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to support future scholarships.
Deposit, Payment, Discounts/Fees, Cancellation and Refund Policies
Payment, Cancellation and Refund Policies (not valid for Anake Outdoor School)
Wilderness Awareness School welcomes students who are motivated to learn wilderness and outdoor education skills, speak fluent English, are healthy and socially responsible. We will deny admission to anyone we believe to be unable to meet the safety demands of our courses. We will expel any student who exhibits behavior that is unsafe or disrupts from the educational mission of a course. If a student is expelled, there will be no refund.
Credit card and E-Check payments made online through our secure registration tool will appear on your billing statement as follows:
“ACH Wilderness Aware”
Wilderness Awareness School cancellation/credit and transfer policies are based on our investment in staff, course planning, as well as food and equipment purchases before your course. We cannot recover our expenses if you cancel. Short-notice cancellations often prevent others from attending.
25% of your registration payment is the deposit and is non-refundable. Please see the payment chart below for when payments are due. If you register for a program after the Balance Due Date, then full payment is due.
Payment Policy **Chart is updated to include all programs**
Below is a summary of payment policies. For questions, please contact our registrar at 425-788-1301 or contact us HERE.
|Program Type||Payment Dates||Balance Due Dates|
|Weekly Programs||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||Aug. 15th, Nov. 15th, Feb. 15th|
|Wild Within||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||Aug. 15th, Nov. 15th, Feb. 15th|
|Anake Leadership Program||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||Aug. 15th, Nov. 15th, Feb. 15th|
|Tracking/Plant Intensive||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||Aug. 15th, Nov. 15th, Feb. 15th|
|Monthly Programs||Full Payment at Registration||-|
|Half Day Camps||Full Payment at Registration||-|
|Day Camps||Full Payment at Registration||-|
|Skills Day Camps||Full Payment at Registration||-|
|Overnight Camps||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||May 1st|
|Youth Expeditions||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||May 1st|
|Adult Programs (Summer)||Non-Refundable Deposit at Registration||May 1st|
|Adult Programs (School Year)||Full Payment at Registration||-|
Most students of our School Year Programs (Youth and Adult) choose our Quarterly Payment Plan - see payment schedule above. For Weekly Youth Programs, Wild Within, Adult Intensives, and ALP you can receive a Pay-in-Full discount of $50. We also offer a Monthly Payment Plan for these programs and charge a one-time $50 fee for this option - this covers additional payment fees and our administrative time. See the Enrollment Package for discounts/fees for the Anake Outdoor School.
For shorter term programs (Summer Camps, Monthly daylong Youth Programs, Adult Weekend/Weeklong programs), if you choose to cancel or leave a course for any reason:
- 15 or more days prior to the course starting date; you are entitled to a full refund, minus the deposit. *Note: Programs that require payment in full at the time of registration are entitled to a 75% refund within this policy.
- 14 days or less prior to the course starting date and once the course has begun, we are unable to offer any refunds or credits.
For longer term programs (Weekly Youth Programs, Adult Intensives, Wild Within, and ALP), if you choose to cancel or leave a course for any reason:
- Cancellation up to the start of the program: Entitled to a refund for any payments in excess of 25% of course tuition.
- Cancellation after the start of the program, but before Nov. 15th: Entitled to a refund for any payments in excess of 50% of course tuition.
- Cancellation between Nov. 15th and Feb. 15th: Entitled to a refund for any payments in excess of 75% of course tuition.
- Cancellation after Feb. 15th: No refund given.
For the Anake Outdoor School, see the Program Catalog that you received upon enrolling. Or contact the Registrar.
To cancel an existing registration, please email our Registrar at email@example.com or reply to your confirmation email received at the time of registration.
If any duration of a course is canceled by Wilderness Awareness School:
Although we rarely need to do so, we reserve the right to cancel a course or change a course duration, tuition or location. Wilderness Awareness School is not responsible for costs associated in these cases. We recommend that you consider refundable tickets for travel.
- We are unable to offer refunds if any duration of a program is cancelled due to inclement weather, or circumstances out of our control.
- If a program is cancelled due to low enrollment, tuition will be fully refundable or transferable.
In the event of illness or injury:
- Wilderness Awareness School will make all attempts to transfer participant to another program within the same fiscal year. (Summer programs only)
- If we are unable to transfer a participant, tuition will be refundable minus the deposit as noted above. Tuition is non-transferable between participants (Summer programs only)
- We are unable to pro-rate tuition (school-year), or offer make-up days.
If you transfer from one course to another:
- 15 or more days prior to the course starting date–no additional charges. Tuition is transferable for the same participant. Tuition is non-transferable between participants.
- 14 days or less prior to the course starting date, regular cancellation and refund charges will apply.
To make changes to an existing registration, please email our Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or reply to your confirmation email received at the time of registration.
Within 24 hours of completing your online registration (most likely it will be instantaneous), you will receive a confirmation email containing links to the following:
- Program Details & Gear List
- Map/Directions to program location
- Any additional required Forms
If you do not receive your confirmation email or if you have any questions, please contact our registrar at 425-788-1301 or contact us HERE.
A Medical and Release form is completed as part of the online registration system. We require that you digitally sign this form for all courses. Because of the ever-changing nature of medical and other requested information, we require that the form be updated for each course you or your child participates in. Thank you for understanding.
Some courses may require an additional physician's release form:
- Physician's Medical Release Form (Some adult courses only)
Directions and Maps to Courses:
Please see our Maps and Directions page for more information.
We are offering transportation from and to SEATAC Airport for the following programs:
- Wilderness Survival Immersion (Adult)
- Art of Mentoring (Adult)
- Teen Wolf Tracking Expedition (Youth)
- $40 each way
- Sign up online during registration or email / call the office later to add shuttle to your registration
- Pick up at SeaTac airport 1.5 hours before the program start time and drops off at the SeaTac airport 1.5 hours after the program end time
- Driven by WAS staff
- Meet at the end of the Alaska Airlines arrivals area
- Participants arriving by Amtrak Train or Bus can take the Soundtransit Link Light Rail to SeaTac to the catch the shuttle to the Program http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail
Wilderness Awareness School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.