|See Dates Below|
Pre-requisite: 2 years WAS experience and/or concurrent registration in another monthly program. See below for more details.
Explore your world through fun, hands-on activities, story-telling and games! This program builds on what students learn in our Nature Explorer and Nature Adventure programs.
Over the course of the 7 sessions, students will learn:
- Knife safety and carving
- Fire by friction
- Animal tracking
- Land navigation, with and without a map and/or compass
- Knowledge of plants, mammals and birds
The Nature Skills Monthly Program is open to students who have had a minimum of two years of experience with Wilderness Awareness School monthly and/or weekly programs or as a second day each month for students who are enrolled in any of our other monthly programs.
Our educational philosophy focuses on:
- Providing fun, hands-on opportunities for children to get outside and learn about the natural world
- Variety through weekly themes
- Adaptability so that the programs match the energy of the group during a particular session
- Mentoring delivered by instructors with experience working with children in this age group
- Using Coyote Mentoring, a widely-respected educational philosophy developed at the Wilderness Awareness School, to encourage creative thinking rather than providing answers, help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, and encourage a much deeper level of learning.
Our instructional staff includes:
- Experienced instructors
- Apprentices who offer additional instructor support
- A targeted 1:10 adult to student ratio
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child's respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals
2019-20 Saturday Nature Skills Programs
(Ages 10 to 13) 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saint Edward State Park (Kenmore)
Saturdays: Sep 21, Oct 19, Nov 16, Jan 18, Feb 22, Mar 21, Apr 25
Saturdays: Sep 28, Oct 26, Nov 23, Jan 25, Feb 29, Mar 28, May 2
Meet The Staff
There will be additional instructors depending on which day and park you are enrolled for.