|10:00 am to 2:00 pm|
|Start Dates: Wed - Sept 12, 2018 Fri - Sept 14, 2018|
Mark your calendars! Registration for the 2019-2020 school year opens March 15th. View upcoming Spring Visit Days by clicking here.
Founded in 2004, our Roots & Wings outdoor nature program allows children ages 4 to 6 to have fun and explore the natural world around them. Through nature activities for kids, including songs, stories, walks, and plant and animal observation, we plant seeds for children's growth and connection with nature. Students can register for one or both days. Note that the cost listed is per program day.
New Wednesday Option!
You now have a choice of doing Roots and Wings on Wednesdays AND/OR Fridays. We are excited about this option as it will allow for smaller overall class size (~12 students per day with 2 Lead instructors and 1-2 Apprentice instructors).
The Roots & Wings curriculum includes:
- Circle time with songs and stories
- Nature walks
- Developing familiarity with the four directions
- Nature awareness games
- Plant and animal awareness
- Sensory awareness
- Nature skills
Our educational philosophy focuses on:
- Creating a safe environment in which children can plan and explore their world
- Providing fun, hands-on opportunities for children to learn
- Adaptability so that the programs match the energy of the group during a particular session
- Mentoring delivered by instructors with experience working with children in this age group
- Using Coyote Mentoring, a widely-respected educational philosophy developed at the Wilderness Awareness School, to encourage creative thinking rather than providing answers, help students develop problem-solving skills and self-sufficiency, and encourage a much deeper level of learning.
Our instructional staff includes:
- Experienced instructors
- Apprentices who offer additional instructor support
- A target staff ratio of 1 staff per 4 students, including 2 staff instructor and 1 apprentice instructors per 12 students
- Staff trained as Coyote Mentors
- Compassionate educators who encourage each child's respect for self, others and nature
- Experienced Wilderness First Aid and CPR certified professionals