Teachers, parents, and all who love spending time outside with kids, this book is for you:
- If you’re leading a nature connection program, or trying to build nature-connected culture in your home or classroom.
- If you’ve ever sat around a campfire (or a kitchen table) wishing for the perfect story to connect your community with nature.
- If you want to learn to tell a story, rather than just reading aloud.
- If you want to take it a scooch deeper, and get everyone involved in a related activity right after the story.
- If you want to do all of it with heart.
Rowena Conahan co-founded and directed Nature Learning Community, a thriving outdoors education program, for ten years. During those years, she told a story around the campfire, and hosted a veritable circus of activities at every single class. Along the way, she trained numerous new storytellers and outdoors educators, and now…maybe you, too!
Rude to a Robin contains:
- Fifteen original stories which portray people living nature-connected lives.
- Fifteen related activities, including survival skills, crafts, games, community building, sensory expansion, intuitive development, and more.
- Guidance on how to tell stories and lead activities.
- Abundant insight into what it takes to support a healthy nature-connected community (large or small).
The campfire is lit, and the folks are gathering up. With Rude to a Robin in your backpack, you’ll be ready to host!
About the Author
Rowena Conahan is a proud graduate of the Kamana Naturalist Training Program. She is also a healer, storyteller, and educator who co-founded Nature Learning Community, a nature connection program in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which she directed for ten years. The mother of three children, she lives in an intentional community with her husband and a rotating crew of pets, kids, and other family members. She offers a limited number of storytelling workshops and performances each year, and supports private clients in connecting with and healing their lands and homes. Rowena endeavors to follow her creative muse wherever it leads her, even when it’s difficult and scary. Every precious thing in her life has been the result of a devoted leap of faith.